10 Best Instant Messaging Apps In 2023
In an ever-connected world where speed, efficiency, and convenience matter, instant messaging apps have taken center stage.
Messaging apps are not just about quick chats anymore— they're about sharing files, making voice and video calls, and even hosting virtual meetings. We've curated a list of the 10 best instant messaging apps that are redefining digital communication.
Ready to explore? Let's dive in!
We know, we know, that’s us. But you won’t regret giving our instant messaging app a chance!
Rock's messaging is not just your average chat tool—it's a powerhouse for working effectively and efficiently. Rock is designed to meet the diverse needs of teams in 2023: connect with team members, freelancers, or clients in the same place.
You get the freedom of sending unlimited messages, creating unlimited 1:1 spaces, and sharing files with anyone. Our messaging app is designed to make cross-organizational collaboration a breeze, allowing you to add collaborators from other companies, agencies, or freelancers to the same space.
You can also mention tasks, notes, people, files and spaces in every chat. No more juggling between tabs or losing context—everything you need is in the same project space: instant messaging, task management, note taking and file management.
Share audio messages, conduct polls, express with emojis, or use the advanced search functionality to find any task, note, file, or message. You can even schedule messages and pin important announcements when you upgrade to Unlimited.
The best part? Rock's Messaging is mobile-friendly, so you can take your conversations, tasks and work files wherever you go. Messaging on the platform is secure and made to supercharge your team's communication.
Ready to get started with the best messaging app? Start today with Rock’s all-in-one messaging platform.
Main benefits of selecting Rock for instant messaging
- Integrated task management: Project spaces include much more than messaging. The chat is natively connected to tasks, allowing users to discuss work, assign tasks, and track their completion all in one place.
- Collaboration with external parties: Quickly add other companies, agencies, or freelancers to a workspace.
- Integrations: Connect and manage apps like Zoom, Google Meet, Figma, Dropbox, Notion and others directly within the group message app.
- Quick connect: Create a custom invite link which allows others to open a project space with you within seconds.
- Cross-platform availability: Rock is available on various platforms, including Windows, Mac, iphone messaging app, and Android.
- Flat pricing: Unlike other tools on the market, Rock does not have per-user pricing. Teams can collaborate with unlimited team members, freelancers and clients at a flat rate.
Slack is a cloud-based collaboration tool that aims to bring all communication together in one place. The instant messaging app is designed to support the way people naturally work together, making it easy to collaborate with individuals and workgroups in real time.
Users can organize team conversations in channels. Channels can be based on anything, be it a team, a project, a department, or even office-related random discussions. An intuitive structure helps keep track of important decisions and discussions, which otherwise get lost in email chains.
Slack doubles as a hub for all your essential work tools. By integrating with services like Google Drive, Salesforce, or Asana, Slack brings all your tools under one roof. No more tab-switching.
Slack does have its Achilles' heel: cost. To unlock most of the platform's powerful features, teams must subscribe to one of Slack's premium plans. The cost can escalate quickly for larger teams with per-user pricing, making it a less desirable option for those mindful of their bottom line.
Benefits of using Slack as your messaging app
- Channel-based organization: The concept of channels, which are essentially conversation threads, is a defining feature of Slack. Channels can be created for specific projects, teams, or topics, and can be made public or private.
- Secure collaboration: Slack offers enterprise-grade security with features like two-factor authentication and data encryption.
- Customizable notifications: Slack offers keyword notifications, where users can be notified whenever a specific word or phrase is mentioned. This level of notification customization is not commonly found in other group message apps.
3. Microsoft teams
Microsoft Teams is an app for messaging that's part of the Microsoft 365 suite. Teams provides a hub for communication, including messaging, video meetings, and file-sharing.
Conversations are organized in a threaded manner, preserving the context and history of discussions. Users can also draw attention to specific messages using @mentions for individuals or the entire team.
File sharing is integrated directly into the chat, and users can collaborate on these files in real-time. Additionally, Microsoft Teams allows for the integration of other Microsoft 365 apps within the chat interface, such as SharePoint, OneNote, and Planner.
A common complaint about Microsoft Teams is that its user interface can feel cluttered and overwhelming, especially for new users. Some users also report that the group message app can be slow or laggy, particularly when handling large files or during periods of high activity.
Benefits of using Teams as your messaging app
- Integration with Microsoft 365 suite: Microsoft Teams is part of the Microsoft 365 suite, and this allows seamless integration with other Microsoft applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Outlook. This is a big advantage for organizations already using these tools.
- Walkie talkie feature: Teams includes a walkie-talkie feature in its android and iPhone messaging app, providing clear, instant, and secure voice communication over the cloud.
- Inline translation: Teams can automatically translate messages in channels and chats, making it a great tool for international teams.
Discord is a messaging app primarily designed for the gaming community, but it has also been adopted by a variety of other user groups. The platform offers features such as voice channels and text messaging.
Messaging in Discord is organized into servers, which are further divided into channels. Each server can have multiple text and voice channels for different topics, games, or conversations, and users can easily switch between these channels.
Discord supports direct messages for one-to-one conversations and group messages for small, private discussions outside of servers. Users can also use @mentions to get the attention of other users or entire roles in a server.
A common complaint about Discord is its lack of native support for threaded conversations. Unlike some other apps for messaging like Slack or Microsoft Teams, Discord doesn't offer an easy way to reply to a specific message in a thread-like format. As a result, conversations can sometimes become difficult to follow, especially in busy channels with a lot of active users.
Benefits of using discord as your group message app
- Voice channels: Discord includes voice channels that users can join and leave at will. Native voice channels provide a convenient option for impromptu or ongoing audio conversations.
- Custom emojis and reactions: Upload custom emojis and use them in your server. You can also react to messages with any emoji, adding a layer of expressiveness to conversations.
- Live streaming and screen sharing: Discord users can live stream video and audio in channels, or share their screens. Streaming or screen sharing can be useful for presentations, demos, or collaborative work.
Telegram is a cloud-based instant messaging app recognized for its emphasis on speed and security. Businesses can create channels to disseminate updates, news, or promotional materials to an unlimited number of subscribers.
Businesses can also program bots to perform a multitude of tasks, such as providing customer support or sending scheduled updates.
It is worth noting that Telegram lacks productivity features that are typically found in other business-focused messaging apps. For instance, it does not natively support features like task management, calendar integration, or threaded conversations.
The absence of these features in an instant messaging app can make the management of work-related tasks and less streamlined.
Unique instant messaging features that can be found on Telegram
- Supergroups: Telegram supports supergroups that can accommodate up to 200,000 members, ideal for large-scale internal communication.
- Bot integration: Telegram supports the integration of bots, which can be programmed to do a variety of tasks. Think of customer support, scheduled updates, or automated responses.
- Privacy and security: Telegram offers Secret Chats with end-to-end encryption and self-destructing messages.
WhatsApp messaging app is a free-to-download app specifically designed for small businesses. Businesses can interact with their customers by using tools to automate, sort, and quickly respond to messages.
Both one-on-one and group messaging are supported on WhatsApp business. The messaging app offers a variety of tools, such as automated greeting and away messages, quick replies for frequently asked questions, and the ability to label chats for easy organization.
Scalability is a common issue with using the WhatsApp messaging app. For example, it lacks advanced business features such as integration with CRM systems, detailed analytics, or support for multiple operators.
Features that make WhatsApp a great app for messaging
- Global Reach: The WhatsApp messaging app is hugely popular worldwide, which can be an advantage for businesses looking to reach international customers.
- WhatsApp Business App: specifically designed for small businesses, allowing them to create a business profile and catalog their products and services.
- Labels: Organize chats using labels, making it easier to manage and locate conversations with customers.
Chanty is a team collaboration and communication tool designed to improve team productivity. A user-friendly interface makes it an appealing choice for businesses seeking a simplified, efficient communication group message app.
Chanty’s messaging app offers one-on-one and group messaging, voice and video calls, and screen sharing. One of the key features of Chanty is its Teambook feature, a single hub where team members can find shared files, tasks, pinned messages, and conversation histories.
Some users have reported a lack of features like polling or scheduling within the app, which are available in some competing platforms. In terms of integrations, the app also lacks some common third-party apps.
Relevant business instant messaging app features found on Chanty
- Teambook feature: A single hub where team members can find files, tasks, pinned messages, and conversation histories. The teambook makes it easy to keep track of important information and tasks.
- Voice transcripts: Chanty can provide transcripts for voice messages, making it easier for users to catch up on missed conversations.
- Simple interface: A user-friendly interface makes it easy for teams to get started with the app for messaging.
Flock is a team instant messaging and collaboration app that offers a chat, file sharing, and task management. Designed to streamline work processes and boost productivity, Flock offers both direct messaging and group conversations, along with video and voice calls.
One of Flock's standout features is its robust app integration with third-party applications like Google Drive, Trello, Asana, and more. Users can also access a built-in task management feature with due dates, and progress tracking right within the app for messaging.
Some users find the notifications to be overly persistent and disruptive, especially when working across multiple channels. Others have expressed that the mobile app can sometimes be slow and less responsive compared to the desktop version.
Features that make Flock a solid instant messaging app
- Mailcast: Create mailing lists using Flock channels. Any email sent to the mailing list will appear as a message in the channel.
- Read-only channels: Create read-only channels where only admins can send messages.
- Pinned messages: Pin important messages in conversations, making it easy to reference key information.
Pumble is a collaboration and business messaging platform that aids in fostering communication and productivity within work environments. Users can set up channels for different teams or projects, use instant messaging, and share files.
The messaging app is designed to centralize communication in a way that's organized and accessible. As a result, people won’t need long email chains or disjointed conversations across multiple platforms.
Users looking for more sophisticated project management tools or extensive third-party app integrations might find Pumble somewhat lacking. Some users have also reported occasional bugs and glitches that can disrupt the workflow.
Benefits of using Pumble for your instant messaging needs
- Rich-Text Editing: Users can format their messages with bolding, italics, bullet points, and more to enhance clarity.
- Threaded Conversations: Pumble supports threaded conversations, allowing users to keep track of different discussion topics within a channel.
- 24/7 support: Pumble has 24/7 customer support coverage and guarantees support from a real person.
Rocket.Chat is a comprehensive open-source team collaboration platform that facilitates seamless business messaging. Users are offered a wide range of communication options, from one-on-one messaging to group chats.
One of Rocket.Chat's standout features is its open-source nature, allowing for extensive customization and adaptability. Customize the user interface, develop new functionalities, or integrate with a multitude of third-party apps.
The open-source nature, while a strength, can also be a drawback. Rocket.Chat’s app for messaging can seem complex and intimidating for teams without the required technical expertise. Some users have also reported that the mobile app experience is not as smooth or stable as the desktop version.
Features that make Rocket.Chat a great app for messaging
- Open-source: Rocket.Chat allows for extensive customization. Businesses with the necessary technical know-how can tailor the platform to meet their needs.
- Self-hosting option: The instant messaging app can be self-hosted, providing businesses with full control of their data and greater privacy.
- Real-Time Translation: Users can access real-time translation of messages, helping bridge communication gaps in diverse teams.
Which messaging app are you staying with?
With so many apps on the market you have a great amount of choice when it comes to business messaging apps. What makes Rock the best messaging app for your team?
Rock combines messaging and tasks in one place so your team can get all their work done without leaving the platform. Integrate with your favorite tools, collaborate with anyone, and upgrade at a flat price.
Get started today, it’s free!